Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Visual Studio 2012

A new app for Windows Phone 8 built with VB: Where are my Items?

It's been a long time since my last post in this blog. As you might know, I run an Italian community about Visual Basic so writing in two different languages concurrently can be hard, especially when you also author books about programming, such as Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed About Visual Basic, I use it everyday not only for building business apps and for authoring learning materials, I also use it for building apps for Windows Phone. I have recently published a new app, called Where are my Items? (download here). The goal of the app is saving the location of...

posted @ giovedì 3 ottobre 2013 12:51 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Visual Studio 2012 ]

Deploying IntelliSense code snippets for Visual Studio 2012 with VSIX packages

Back in Visual Studio 2005, Microsoft introduced reusable code snippets that can be picked up in the code editor with IntelliSense support. Something like this: Code Snippets are XML files with .snippet extension based on a specific schema. Rather than typing manually your XML files, a good idea is using a snippet editor. There are a lot of snippet editors available for free, I personally use the Snippet Designer editor which is integrated in the IDE. With an editor like this, you simply write or copy-paste code and provide the appropriate metadata information. The editor is responsible for producing well-formed XML...

posted @ martedì 21 maggio 2013 07:40 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2012 ]

A VS2012 extension to use the WinRT APIs in desktop apps

Anyone who has ever built for Windows 8 and the Windows Runtime probably wondered how it is possible to use WinRT in desktop applications. Even though with some limitations, this is possible and requires some manual steps so that a project can reference Windows 8's libraries. Lucian Wischik  has published an interesting extension for Visual Studio 2012, which adds a Console app project template which is ready to take advantage of WinRT. Such an extension is available from the Visual Studio Gallery at this address, where you will also find hints for the usage. Lucian has also published an article on CodeProject, where he provides detailed information about this scenario. Remember that...

posted @ giovedì 14 marzo 2013 10:20 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Windows 8 & WinRT Visual Studio 2012 ]

My new book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available

I'm pleased and proud to announce that my new book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available, both paperback and digital edition! This time I had the honor of featuring Lucian Wischik, the VB Specification Lead at Microsoft, as the author of a great foreword. As usual, it has really been a hard work, but fortunately working with a great team (including Matthew Kleinwaks as the tech editor) makes things easier. The book has been fully updated to target the .NET Framework 4.5 and the new features in the Visual Basic programming Language, such as the Async/Await pattern, new tools in the...

posted @ lunedì 28 gennaio 2013 22:43 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Communication Foundation LINQ/EF/OData Misc .NET Framework Help Authoring Setup & Deployment Visual Studio Extensibility Visual Studio Express Editions Windows Azure Windows 8 & WinRT Visual Studio 2012 ]