Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Visual Studio 2010

My new article on MSDN: Local Data Access in Windows Phone Mango

Today a new article of mine has been published on the Visual Basic Community contents page of the Visual Studio Developer Center (formerly known as Visual Basic Developer Center). The article's title is Local Data Access in Windows Phone Mango and it describes how to take advantage of SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 in your apps to increase your productivity by storing data into a true database. Enjoy! Alessandro

posted @ lunedì 9 gennaio 2012 21:40 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone ]

Windows Azure: interacting in Visual Basic code with the Blob Storage - part one

With this blog post I would like to start a series about how we can interact from Visual Basic 2010 with the on-line Cloud Storage offered by Windows Azure. My goal is not discussing what Windows Azure is and how the storage works (except for some necessary hints), since you can find more detailed documentation across the Internet; instead I will show you how to write code for managing containers and blobs in your storage account. My assumptions about you I assume that you already have an account on Windows Azure and that you already created your storage account. If you need...

posted @ sabato 26 marzo 2011 20:39 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Azure ]

Announcing Azure Blob Studio 2011 on CodePlex: a new blob storage manager written in Visual Basic 2010

I just released onto CodePlex a new tool called Azure Blob Studio 2011. This tool provides an easy way to manage files on your Windows Azure's blob storage, including both the online and developer accounts; it is available in two editions: stand-alone WPF client extension for Visual Studio 2010 (precisely a tool window) The stand-alone client is available via a ClickOnce installer, whereas the extension is available as a VSIX package from the Visual Studio Gallery (and the Extension Manager tool in VS). With this approach you can receive updates easily. The application has...

posted @ martedì 28 dicembre 2010 12:42 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Azure ]

Announcing Vsi Builder 2010, a new extension for Visual Studio 2010

I just released on CodePlex and on the Visual Studio Gallery a new extension for Visual Studio 2010 named Vsi Builder 2010, due to a good feedback coming from a previous, stand-alone version for VS 2008. What is it about? The new extensibility model in Visual Studio 2010 introduced the new VSIX file format and the concept of "extension" in order to share and install components for Visual Studio 2010, such as tool windows, packages and code editor extensions. The problem is that reusable code-snippets (.snippet files) and old-style add-ins cannot be packaged and deployed via the VSIX format. In fact, they...

posted @ lunedì 6 dicembre 2010 18:48 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Visual Studio Extensibility ]

Creating an RSS feed reader for Windows Phone 7 with Visual Basic 2010

Today Microsoft released the RTW of the developer tools for Windows Phone 7 in Visual Basic 2010 (download links here)! To celebrate this important milestone, I've published a new contribution named "Creating an RSS feed reader for Windows Phone 7 with Visual Basic 2010" under the form of an article, a short video and a source code example: Read the article Watch the video: Download the code Enjoy! Alessandro

posted @ lunedì 29 novembre 2010 19:26 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone ]

Visual Studio LightSwitch: connecting to SQL Azure databases

Among the available data sources that Visual Studio LightSwitch allows connecting to, since the current beta, we can find SQL Azure databases. SQL Azure is the database "on the cloud" of the Windows Azure Services Platform. The cool thing is that once you have your database on SQL Azure, the way you connect to it does not change. Once LightSwitch is running, click "Attach to an external database". Next select Database as the data source:   Next you have to specify connection parameters such as the SQL Azure server name, user name and password (you work with SQL authentication) and, of course, the database name: In my case...

posted @ domenica 21 novembre 2010 11:37 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Azure Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

WPF: text wrapping inside DataGrid cells

When working with the DataGrid in WPF, you generally use the DataGridTextColumn object for displaying or editing text. Such an object has a limitation: there is no property for specifying that the text should be automatically wrapped according to the column width, similarly to what you can do in Microsoft Excel. Fortunately the solution is pretty easy. In fact you can use the DataGridTemplateColumn element (a generic object which allows deep customizations for cell templates) and inside it you implement one TextBox for text editing and one TextBlock for displaying text; such controls expose the TextWrapping property that we can use for wrapping the text. Here's the...

posted @ giovedì 14 ottobre 2010 18:08 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

Rapid application development with Visual Studio LightSwitch

Probably many of you already know that recently Microsoft announced the first beta of a new product in the Visual Studio family, called Visual Studio LightSwitch that is publicly available since August 23rd. In this blog post I'm going to make an overview of LightSwitch with a few words and some pictures. What Visual Studio LightSwitch Is (and my personal thought for VB 6 developers) Visual Studio LightSwitch is an integrated development environment for rapidly developing Line Of Business Applications. Rapid because the pipeline is: "I create my data -> I define my screens -> LightSwitch prepares the infrastructure -> I just press F5...

posted @ mercoledì 25 agosto 2010 16:20 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - full series summary

Following the last part of the blog post introductory series on MVVM in WPF 4 applications with Visual Basic 2010, I think that you can find useful the full list of 10 posts for easier reading. Here they are: "WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers" Part 1 (introduction) Part 2 (command logic) Part 3 (details view + generic RelayCommand) Part 4 (data validation) (From part 5 on, MVVM is against the ADO.NET Entity Framework) Part 5 (Entity Data Model creation + data validation) Part 6 (Message Broker and commanding) Part 7 (service layer) Part 8 (creating ViewModels) Part 9 (refactoring + unit testing) Part 10 (Views definition, UI and code download) I'm planning some further blog posts...

posted @ venerdì 13 agosto 2010 17:01 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - part 10 (and last!)

This is definitely the last blog post of the introductory series about the Model-View-ViewModel in WPF with Visual Basic 2010, particularly against the ADO.NET Entity Framework. I will explain how to build the user interface and how to bind it to ViewModels. Although this is the last blog post of the series, this does not mean that I will no longer discuss MVVM with VB 2010. On the contrary this will be an important topic for this blog, but for the sake of clarity I will distinguish topics in different blog posts and today we will complete the sample application. You can find...

posted @ venerdì 13 agosto 2010 16:52 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

Full Visual Studio 2010 Archive