Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 143, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2012

Order my book about VB 2012 on Amazon My book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

campusMVP.NET - Tutored online training for Microsoft developers

Follow me on Twitter!

Messenger me!

CyberInstaller Beta Tester

Download CIS 2008!!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Search the blog

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Windows Azure

My new book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available

I'm pleased and proud to announce that my new book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available, both paperback and digital edition! This time I had the honor of featuring Lucian Wischik, the VB Specification Lead at Microsoft, as the author of a great foreword. As usual, it has really been a hard work, but fortunately working with a great team (including Matthew Kleinwaks as the tech editor) makes things easier. The book has been fully updated to target the .NET Framework 4.5 and the new features in the Visual Basic programming Language, such as the Async/Await pattern, new tools in the...

posted @ lunedì 28 gennaio 2013 22:43 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Communication Foundation LINQ/EF/OData Misc .NET Framework Help Authoring Setup & Deployment Visual Studio Extensibility Visual Studio Express Editions Windows Azure Windows 8 & WinRT Visual Studio 2012 ]

Migrating a SQL Server database to SQL Azure with the SQL Azure Migration Wizard

Migrating a SQL Server database to the cloud, so SQL Azure, is with no doubt an interesting scenario. Often this process is not easy and usually just executing a SQL script on Azure is not enough to get full compatibility. So a number of volunteers has created an open source tool called SQL Azure Migration Wizard, available on CodePlex. This tool allows to perform a number of tasks, such as analysis over SQL scripts to check for compatibility between on-premise and the cloud, or a full database migration including data. For instance, imagine you want to migrate to SQL Azure the famous Northwind...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:23 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Windows Azure ]

Windows Azure: interacting in Visual Basic code with the Blob Storage - part one

With this blog post I would like to start a series about how we can interact from Visual Basic 2010 with the on-line Cloud Storage offered by Windows Azure. My goal is not discussing what Windows Azure is and how the storage works (except for some necessary hints), since you can find more detailed documentation across the Internet; instead I will show you how to write code for managing containers and blobs in your storage account. My assumptions about you I assume that you already have an account on Windows Azure and that you already created your storage account. If you need...

posted @ sabato 26 marzo 2011 20:39 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Azure ]

Announcing Azure Blob Studio 2011 on CodePlex: a new blob storage manager written in Visual Basic 2010

I just released onto CodePlex a new tool called Azure Blob Studio 2011. This tool provides an easy way to manage files on your Windows Azure's blob storage, including both the online and developer accounts; it is available in two editions: stand-alone WPF client extension for Visual Studio 2010 (precisely a tool window) The stand-alone client is available via a ClickOnce installer, whereas the extension is available as a VSIX package from the Visual Studio Gallery (and the Extension Manager tool in VS). With this approach you can receive updates easily. The application has...

posted @ martedì 28 dicembre 2010 12:42 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Azure ]

Visual Studio LightSwitch: connecting to SQL Azure databases

Among the available data sources that Visual Studio LightSwitch allows connecting to, since the current beta, we can find SQL Azure databases. SQL Azure is the database "on the cloud" of the Windows Azure Services Platform. The cool thing is that once you have your database on SQL Azure, the way you connect to it does not change. Once LightSwitch is running, click "Attach to an external database". Next select Database as the data source:   Next you have to specify connection parameters such as the SQL Azure server name, user name and password (you work with SQL authentication) and, of course, the database name: In my case...

posted @ domenica 21 novembre 2010 11:37 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Azure Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Updated version of my WPF client for Azure's blob storage

Some time ago I published onto CodePlex the first version of a WPF client to manage files on the Windows Azure blob storage. I just updated the application so that it can take advantage of the July 2009 CTP of Windows Azure SDK APIs removing also some unused references to unit testing assemblies that caused crashes with ClickOnce installations. If you are interested in Windows Azure and you need a simple tool for uploading and removing files and folders in the blob storage without reinventing the wheel, try to take a look at its CodePlex workspace :-) The client's source code is in Visual Basic 2008, while...

posted @ sabato 26 settembre 2009 17:36 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Azure ]

A WPF client for the Windows Azure Blob Storage with Visual Basic

If you are interested in developing applications for the clouds and you have signed up for an account on the Windows Azure Services Platform, you might have noticed that uploading files to the Blob storage is not immediate. Of course you could take advantage from the source code shipped with the Azure SDK for programmatically managing blobs. To make things easier, I decided to create my own client for managing files on my Blob storage and I did it with Visual Basic 2008 and Windows Presentation Foundation. The source code for this application is available on CodePlex and you can find it by...

posted @ martedì 17 marzo 2009 23:57 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Azure ]

Windows Azure "How-do-I" videos on MSDN

I just learnt from Steve Marx's blog that the Windows Azure Team has released some "How-do-I" videos on the Windows Azure Developer Portal from MSDN. The videos are related to creating and deploying applications for Windows Azure (5 videos) and getting started with .NET Services (2 videos). If you are interested into or just curious about Windows Azure development, these videos are the best starting point for learning this new great technology. The videos are available on this page. Alessandro

posted @ venerdì 13 febbraio 2009 00:59 | Feedback (8) | Filed Under [ Windows Azure ]