Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

maggio 2011 Blog Posts

How-to: get the "Powered by Windows Azure" logo for your LightSwitch applications

Some time ago Microsoft launched the new Microsoft Platform Ready portal, where you can certify your applications based on a number of recent technologies from Microsoft, including Windows Azure. As you know, LightSwitch applications can be easily deployed to Windows Azure and in this scenario they use SQL Azure databases. The MPR program enables certifying applications relying on both technologies, so you can certify your LightSwitch applications running on the Cloud. So let's try and see how to accomplish this. First, you just need to create a LightSwitch application with at least one table and one screen, no matter how complex...

posted @ venerdì 27 maggio 2011 21:14 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Visual Studio LightSwitch: acquiring images from devices with Visual Basic and the WIA APIs

Visual Studio LightSwitch is an extensible environment and is based upon Silverlight 4. The combination of these two factors allows creating a lot of additional stuff so that you can provide features that are not available by default. Today the goal is understanding how to use COM Automation in Silverlight 4 to acquire images (and possibly documents) from scanners in a LightSwitch application. Before going on, it is worth mentioning that COM Automation requires elevated privileges so this means that the application must run as a desktop client (out-of-browser). So let's create a new LightSwitch project. I will show some Visual Basic code but translating...

posted @ domenica 22 maggio 2011 18:29 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Using Telerik controls in LightSwitch for exporting, filtering, and sorting data - part 2

In the previous post we saw how to create a Silverlight user control that embeds some controls from the RadControl for Silverlight by Telerik, to be used in LightSwitch applications. Basically we created the control, replaced the built-in DataGrid in LightSwitch, performed the data-binding and we have seen how this perfectly works. We also prepared some buttons for printing and exporting features, which will be implemented in this post. But we'll do more: we'll demonstrate that the previously created custom control is also reusable. Let's start from this point, and add a new screen of type EditableGrid pointing to the Orders collection: Once the Screen Designer...

posted @ giovedì 19 maggio 2011 13:19 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Using Telerik controls in LightSwitch for exporting, filtering, and sorting data - part 1

One of the hottest topics for those folks that are evaluating the Betas of Visual Studio LightSwitch is the possibility of using 3rd party user controls, but also printing and reporting. Of course you have the possibility of doing that, by using user controls written upon Silverligh 4.0. I intensively use the RadControls for Silverlight di Telerik suite, which is very good and that enriches the Visual Studio 2010's toolbox. It seems that Telerik is planning to create extensions for LightSwitch, but you can actually use controls from the current suite. In this (and the next) blog post we'll see how...

posted @ giovedì 19 maggio 2011 13:02 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Where's ByVal?

If you installed Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio 2010 and you are a VB, you might have noticed that when writing methods the ByVal keyword is no longer added for method arguments. For instance, this code is legal:     'Missing explicit ByVal     Private Sub aMethod(anArgument As Integer)     End Sub The reason is that a method argument is ByVal by default, unless you specify ByRef. So the keyword can be omitted, but you can also add it explicitly if you prefer. Alessandro

posted @ domenica 8 maggio 2011 23:38 | Feedback (56) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic ]