Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

novembre 2010 Blog Posts

Creating an RSS feed reader for Windows Phone 7 with Visual Basic 2010

Today Microsoft released the RTW of the developer tools for Windows Phone 7 in Visual Basic 2010 (download links here)! To celebrate this important milestone, I've published a new contribution named "Creating an RSS feed reader for Windows Phone 7 with Visual Basic 2010" under the form of an article, a short video and a source code example: Read the article Watch the video: Download the code Enjoy! Alessandro

posted @ lunedì 29 novembre 2010 19:26 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone ]

Visual Studio LightSwitch: binding a Silverlight Pie Chart control to screens

As you know, it is easy to extend the user interface of screens in LightSwitch applications by adding custom Silverlight controls. The Silverlight Toolkit adds to your toolbox a number of new useful controls, especially for data visualization such as charts. In this post I will show you how to add a Pie Chart to a screen listing products.Imagine you have an entity named Product, like the following which I grabbed from the Northwind database: Once you have this entity, imagine you also have a Search Screen pointing to the Products collection. Since the list of products is quite long, we...

posted @ venerdì 26 novembre 2010 18:25 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Visual Studio LightSwitch: connecting to SQL Azure databases

Among the available data sources that Visual Studio LightSwitch allows connecting to, since the current beta, we can find SQL Azure databases. SQL Azure is the database "on the cloud" of the Windows Azure Services Platform. The cool thing is that once you have your database on SQL Azure, the way you connect to it does not change. Once LightSwitch is running, click "Attach to an external database". Next select Database as the data source:   Next you have to specify connection parameters such as the SQL Azure server name, user name and password (you work with SQL authentication) and, of course, the database name: In my case...

posted @ domenica 21 novembre 2010 11:37 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Azure Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Visual Studio LightSwitch: implementing and using extension methods with Visual Basic

As you know Visual Studio LightSwitch allows building business applications quickly and easily with an approach of type Data + Screens = Business Applications. This approach simplifies a lot the application development, even for developers who are new to programming, but necessarily requires some restrictions on customizing some application parts. In reality, LightSwitch applications are 100% .NET applications running on the Silverlight 4 platform, meaning that you can reuse a lot of your existing skills about .NET and managed languages, such as extension methods. For example, imagine you have a simple entity named Contact which exposes a property called WebSite of type String, which stores the contact's web site...

posted @ giovedì 4 novembre 2010 12:08 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]