Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

agosto 2010 Blog Posts

Rapid application development with Visual Studio LightSwitch

Probably many of you already know that recently Microsoft announced the first beta of a new product in the Visual Studio family, called Visual Studio LightSwitch that is publicly available since August 23rd. In this blog post I'm going to make an overview of LightSwitch with a few words and some pictures. What Visual Studio LightSwitch Is (and my personal thought for VB 6 developers) Visual Studio LightSwitch is an integrated development environment for rapidly developing Line Of Business Applications. Rapid because the pipeline is: "I create my data -> I define my screens -> LightSwitch prepares the infrastructure -> I just press F5...

posted @ mercoledì 25 agosto 2010 16:20 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Neptune, a MVVM Framework for Visual Basic 2010

Neptune is a light framework for building WPF apps based on the Model-View-ViewModel pattern with Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4. Written in *Visual Basic 2010* The library contains: a ViewModelBase class, ready to be inherited - a ServiceLocator class which you use within service layers - a Messenger class which you use as the message broker - RelayCommand and RelayCommand(Of T) classes for relaying the command logic - a simple IDataService intervace with most common members which you can inherit in your service layers. The library is featuring the Messenger class from the Ocean framework by Karl Shifflett Available downloads include: ...

posted @ martedì 17 agosto 2010 01:00 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ My CodePlex projects ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - full series summary

Following the last part of the blog post introductory series on MVVM in WPF 4 applications with Visual Basic 2010, I think that you can find useful the full list of 10 posts for easier reading. Here they are: "WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers" Part 1 (introduction) Part 2 (command logic) Part 3 (details view + generic RelayCommand) Part 4 (data validation) (From part 5 on, MVVM is against the ADO.NET Entity Framework) Part 5 (Entity Data Model creation + data validation) Part 6 (Message Broker and commanding) Part 7 (service layer) Part 8 (creating ViewModels) Part 9 (refactoring + unit testing) Part 10 (Views definition, UI and code download) I'm planning some further blog posts...

posted @ venerdì 13 agosto 2010 17:01 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - part 10 (and last!)

This is definitely the last blog post of the introductory series about the Model-View-ViewModel in WPF with Visual Basic 2010, particularly against the ADO.NET Entity Framework. I will explain how to build the user interface and how to bind it to ViewModels. Although this is the last blog post of the series, this does not mean that I will no longer discuss MVVM with VB 2010. On the contrary this will be an important topic for this blog, but for the sake of clarity I will distinguish topics in different blog posts and today we will complete the sample application. You can find...

posted @ venerdì 13 agosto 2010 16:52 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - part 9

So far we wrote a lot of code, in this blog post series related to MVVM in WPF with Visual Basic 2010. Of course there are a lot of things to improve before heading to the last part. This will also allow us discovering a great benefit from using MVVM, which is writing unit tests against the ViewModel. Let's start by refactoring some code. Refactoring time! Refactoring the code is something that is mainly about both ViewModels. OrdersViewModel is the one requiring more attention. The first thing we want to improve is how the code uses the RelayCommand class: since we also wrote a...

posted @ giovedì 12 agosto 2010 15:46 | Feedback (46) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - part 8

Let's go ahead with our discussion about the MVVM pattern in WPF applications with VB 2010. Last time I explained how to implement a service layer; in this post I will focus on ViewModels. Particularly I will show where to place an instance of the Messenger class and then I will show all the required ViewModels. Because of this it will be a quite long work, especially in terms of lines of code since concepts have all been explained in this previous post. Send me a message! In all tutorials I found (and studied) declaring an instance of the Messenger class...

posted @ giovedì 12 agosto 2010 14:51 | Feedback (34) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

Free chapters from my book "VB 2010 Unleashed"

I would like to let you know that you can download for free the "web-only" chapters from my book "Visual Basic 2010 Unleashed". These are chapters that we could not include in the printed book for space reasons. They are available in PDF format from the following links: Chapter 56: Advanced IDE Features. Chapter 57: Introducing the Visual Studio Extensibility. Chapter 58: Advanced Analysis Tools. Chapter 59: Testing Code with Unit Tests, Test-Driven Development, and Code Contracts. In these chapters I discuss the Visual Studio extensibility, advanced IDE features (such as code snippets and templates), analyisis tools like IntelliTrace and...

posted @ giovedì 5 agosto 2010 13:11 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic ]

WPF: Introducing the Model-View-ViewModel pattern for Visual Basic 2010 developers - part 7

Let's retake our journey through the MVVM pattern in WPF 4, with Visual Basic 2010, against ADO.NET Entity Framework. Last time we saw how to implement a Messenger class, describing what it is for although we'll see such a class in action in my next post. In this article we will write some code for data access which is important to understand how complex can be building applications based on the MVVM but also how many benefits it can bring into your developer life. Problem of the day: does the ViewModel know what's the data source? I confessed that I had to delay the...

posted @ lunedì 2 agosto 2010 23:42 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]