Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

marzo 2010 Blog Posts

XAML Code Snippets, a new addin for VS 2010

I just published onto CodePlex a new WPF project, an addin for Visual Studio 2010 which allows adding and exporting XAML code snippets and that is supported by both WPF and Silverlight editors. You simply need to right click inside the XAML code editor and select the command you need (insert or export). The addin uses the classic .Snippet file format and the code is saved (or read) as XML. I took this approach to maintain compatibility with the VS .Snippet format. Screenshots, getting started instructions and the source code, in Visual Basic 2010, are available in the project workspace here. Since the XAML editor does not natively support code snippets, differently from...

posted @ giovedì 25 marzo 2010 00:47 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Visual Studio Extensibility ]

Creating, packaging and deploying extensions for Visual Studio 2010

Microsoft Visual Studio is an extensible environment, in that it is possible creating and installing additional components offering new functionalities that the IDE does not include. As you may know, Visual Studio 2010 is a revolutionary environment because most of its architecture is based upon WPF and this also changes the extensibility. Except for Addins and Code Snippets, that you still package via the old .vsi file format, VS 2010 introduces the new .vsix format that enables packaging and installing the so called extensions, thus additional components such as templates, tool windows, editor extensions and user controls to be installed to the Toolbox. Visual...

posted @ domenica 14 marzo 2010 23:17 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Visual Studio Extensibility ]

Export Selection As Code Snippet

This add-in for Visual Studio 2008 allows to export selected code as a reusable Code Snippet (.snippet file format) for Visual Studio 2008. Complete *Visual Basic* source code and a documentation file are provided. Check out the new version for *Visual Studio 2010 RC* Note: now available a version for Visual Studio 2010 Release Candidate here The add-in adds a menu item to the Code Window context menu. After you select a code snippet in the code editor, just right click the selection. Select the "Export as Code Snippet" command from the context menu: Then, customize your snippet's properties in the appearing window. The...

posted @ sabato 13 marzo 2010 01:00 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ My CodePlex projects ]

Querying the Windows' events with LINQ and Visual Basic

Some time ago, in the Italian MSDN forum about Visual Basic, a user asked how it is possible querying the Windows' log events registry based on the given ID. This is really easy with LINQ. First, you get a reference to the Windows' events registry via an instance of the System.Diagnostics.EventLog class. The constructor requires as an argument the log name you want to query (e.g. Application, Security, Setup etc.). Once you get the instance, you can write a LINQ query for filtering only entries marked with the given ID. Each entry is represented by EventLogEntry objects. The following code demonstrates how to...

posted @ lunedì 8 marzo 2010 00:05 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic LINQ/EF/OData ]

Why you should use Visual Studio 2010 for Visual Basic 2005/2008 projects

In most cases, applications have quite long life. In other situations, today you might still need to create applications built upon .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0 although we have .NET 3.5 SP 1. Similarly, when .NET 4.0 RTM will be available, in some circumstances you will still need building applications upon .NET 3.5 SP 1. As it was for in Visual Studio 2008, Visual Studio 2010 (available in Release Candidate) also supports multi-targeting so it is able of creating applications targeting specific versions of the .NET Framework, starting from the 2.0. The good news is that when you open old solutions or projects in Visual Studio 2010,...

posted @ domenica 7 marzo 2010 23:55 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic ]