Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Windows 7 & WPF 4: overlaying task bar icons

In this blog post I will discuss another interesting feature from Windows 7, that you can program via WPF 4 and VB/C# 2010, which is overlaying icons.

You might have noticed how the Windows 7's task bar is not just a place where application icons are grouped, but it it also the ideal place for notifying the user about the application state or about the state of a task executed by the application. Basically you can overlay a custom icon with transparency over the application icon in order to notify the user about a particular situation, without the need of replacing the original application icon. Last but not least, you can simply replace the overlaid icon with another one to show another kind of notification. Now the code :-)

After creating a WPF 4 project with Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2, the first requirement is getting a reference to the Task Bar as follows:

<Window.TaskbarItemInfo>

<TaskbarItemInfo/>

</Window.TaskbarItemInfo>

In the Window resources let's add images to be used for overlaying. You should prefer PNG images because they support transparency that is automatically recognized and applied by Windows 7 (as I will show later). Each image is represented by a DrawingImage object, as demonstrated in the following code:

<Window.Resources>

<!-- Define a DrawingImage resource

and assign an identifier-->

<DrawingImage x:Key="OverlayImage">

<!-- Populating the Drawing property...-->

<DrawingImage.Drawing>

<!--... with an ImageDrawing object

representing an image(icon-->

<ImageDrawing Rect="0,0,16,16"

ImageSource="/adsWpf4OverlayIcons;component/Images/EditTask.png" />

</DrawingImage.Drawing>

</DrawingImage>

</Window.Resources>

It's important to remember that you must assign the Rect property from the ImageDrawing object with the dimensions of the rectangle area that the overlaid icon will occupy. Just for demo purposes, let's implement a ComboBox where we can select the icon visualization mode:

<Grid>

<ComboBox Width="100" Height="30" Name="Combo1">

<ComboBoxItem Content="Normal" />

<ComboBoxItem Content="With overlay" />

</ComboBox>

</Grid>

At this point we can switch to the managed code. Basically the need is assigning the TaskBarItemInfo.Overlay property with an object of type ImageSource, which represents the icon to be used as the overlay, or with Nothing if we just want to restore the original state. When the application run, such property is obviously null. This is the sample code:

Private Sub Combo1_SelectionChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object,

ByVal e As System.Windows.Controls.

SelectionChangedEventArgs) Handles Combo1.SelectionChanged

'Checks for the selected item in the Combo

Select Case CType(Combo1.SelectedItem, ComboBoxItem).Content.ToString

Case Is = "Normal"

'Restore the original state

TaskbarItemInfo.Overlay = Nothing

Case Is = "With overlay"

'Overlay the icon

TaskbarItemInfo.Overlay = CType(Resources("OverlayImage"), ImageSource)

End Select

End Sub

The interesting thing is that at run-time you can set a different overlay icon depending on what you need to notify or communicate to the user, without the need of replacing the application icon. The conversion to ImageSource via CType is required because such the Resources is of type Object. Finally, let's see the result. This is the icon at normal state, which is what you typically see:

Next, the overlay icon where we can appreciate the fact that Windows 7 automatically applied transparency:

With this approach we can notify the user about the application state by simply overlaying the icon, taking advantage of the new WPF 4 programming features and integration with Windows 7.

You can download the code for this blog post from MSDN Code Gallery here.

Alessandro

Print | posted on giovedì 28 gennaio 2010 13:39 | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows 7/Vista ]

Feedback

No comments posted yet.

Post Comment

Title  
Name  
Email
Url
Comment   
Please add 4 and 1 and type the answer here: