Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

gennaio 2010 Blog Posts

Windows 7 & WPF 4: using task bar icons like progress bars

Did you ever try to download a file from the Internet with Windows 7? If yes, maybe you noticed that the Internet Explorer icon in the task bar shows the download progress, like a classic ProgressBar. With WPF 4 and VB (o C#) 2010 it's possible programming this interesting functionality in order to make our applications able of showing the progress state of a given task. The code example shown in this blog post simply wastes some time in an asynchronous way so that it can send progress state to a ProgressBar control and to the icon in the task bar (the reason...

posted @ venerdì 29 gennaio 2010 17:42 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

Windows 7 & WPF 4: overlaying task bar icons

In this blog post I will discuss another interesting feature from Windows 7, that you can program via WPF 4 and VB/C# 2010, which is overlaying icons. You might have noticed how the Windows 7's task bar is not just a place where application icons are grouped, but it it also the ideal place for notifying the user about the application state or about the state of a task executed by the application. Basically you can overlay a custom icon with transparency over the application icon in order to notify the user about a particular situation, without the need of...

posted @ giovedì 28 gennaio 2010 12:39 | Feedback (179) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows 7/Vista ]

Windows 7 & WPF 4: interacting in code with the Jump List

Windows 7 introduces a new feature known as Jump List. Basically when you right-click an icon on the task bar you get access to a context menu showing a list of common tasks or simply a list of recent files, divided into groups and categories. With WPF 4 and Visual Basic (or C#) 2010 you can interact with the Jump List by writing some lines of code so that you can associate items lists from your application making such lists available to the user. WPF 4 exposes the System.Windows.Shell namespace offering some classes that allow accessing the Jump List, particularly the JumpList class representing the above described...

posted @ domenica 24 gennaio 2010 15:10 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

Windows 7 & WPF 4: adding buttons onto task bar icons

Windows Presentation Foundation 4, the new version currently available in Beta 2 which will be part of .NET Framework 4/VS 2010, offers native integration with Windows 7 without the need of utilizing external components and libraries (at least for most activities). Among available functionalities, multi-touch and task bar integration are the most important. In this post I'm going to discuss how you can add buttons to the application's icon in the Windows task bar, very similarly to what you can see by running Windows Media Player, which provides button for controlling the media being played, available when the mouse pointer passes over the application icon: The goal of...

posted @ domenica 24 gennaio 2010 12:17 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]