Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

settembre 2009 Blog Posts

Updated version of my WPF client for Azure's blob storage

Some time ago I published onto CodePlex the first version of a WPF client to manage files on the Windows Azure blob storage. I just updated the application so that it can take advantage of the July 2009 CTP of Windows Azure SDK APIs removing also some unused references to unit testing assemblies that caused crashes with ClickOnce installations. If you are interested in Windows Azure and you need a simple tool for uploading and removing files and folders in the blob storage without reinventing the wheel, try to take a look at its CodePlex workspace :-) The client's source code is in Visual Basic 2008, while...

posted @ sabato 26 settembre 2009 17:36 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Azure ]

Listing files from a directory with LINQ and .NET 4.0

Every time a new version of the .NET Framework is available we probably think of new great technologies (or at least this is for me) but often there are also some small improvements to the Base Class Library. I just discovered that the System.IO.Directory class implementation in .NET Framework 4.0 Beta 1 now exposes a method named EnumerateFiles, which works like the well known GetFiles, but differs in that it returns an IEnumerable(Of String) making the result directly queryable with LINQ. This is an example:         Dim filesEnumerable As IEnumerable(Of String) = Directory.EnumerateFiles("C:\", "*.exe") You use it exactly as...

posted @ domenica 20 settembre 2009 14:34 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic LINQ/EF/OData ]

Behind the scenes of the ObservableCollection(Of T)

When developing WPF applications, in many situations you will use the ObservableCollection(Of T) that supports the two ways data-binding and therefore it is able to notify the UI of changes happening on items of the collection itself. This is due to the implementation of the INotifyPropertyChanged interface.   It is interesting to understand how this works behind the scenes. For the sake of simplicity, for this blog post I created a Console application adding a reference to the WindowsBase.dll assembly that defines the above mentioned collection.   The ObservableCollection basically works like the List(Of T), meaning that it exposes methods such as Add, Remove and so on. Now let's imagine we want...

posted @ martedì 1 settembre 2009 19:39 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]