Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

marzo 2009 Blog Posts

Implicit line continuation in Visual Basic 10

One of the new features of Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 is the implicit line continuation. In a few words, we'll be able to write portions of code without underscores (_) very similarly to what C# developers do. The background compiler is then able to determine when code block end. To me it's a good improvement, especially when I write LINQ queries: I actually often forget to put the underscore, having to correct the error :-) In the Visual Basic Team blog you can find a post about this feature (click here). Beth Massi also made an interview with Tyler Whitney, one of the developers...

posted @ domenica 29 marzo 2009 23:15 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 ]

Interview with Milind Lele about WPF data-binding in Dev10

During the MVP Global Summit 2009, I had the pleasure of meeting Milind Lele, Program Manager on the Visual Studio Pro Tools Team from Microsoft Corporation, who kindly accepted answering some questions of mine about one of the new Visual Studio 2010's IDE features: the drag'n'drop data-binding in WPF applications. During the interview Milind shows a sample application built with Visual Studio 2010; you can see some of the new features (new UI, new DataGrid...) in the video: The interview is also available on Channel 9, you can click here to check it out. I'm a non-English speaking guy, so please forgive any mistakes :-) Alessandro

posted @ domenica 29 marzo 2009 22:58 | Feedback (6) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Windows Presentation Foundation ]

Interview with a Microsoft MVP: that's my time :-)

Alessandro Teglia, MVP Lead CEE & Italy from Microsoft Italy, often interviews Microsoft MVPs living in countries about he's the Lead for. Then he publishes interviews to his blog. Alessandro just published the interview he made with me :-) You can find it here. So if you want to know something more about me... take a look! :-) Alessandro

posted @ domenica 29 marzo 2009 22:52 | Feedback (7) | Filed Under [ Misc ]

A WPF client for the Windows Azure Blob Storage with Visual Basic

If you are interested in developing applications for the clouds and you have signed up for an account on the Windows Azure Services Platform, you might have noticed that uploading files to the Blob storage is not immediate. Of course you could take advantage from the source code shipped with the Azure SDK for programmatically managing blobs. To make things easier, I decided to create my own client for managing files on my Blob storage and I did it with Visual Basic 2008 and Windows Presentation Foundation. The source code for this application is available on CodePlex and you can find it by...

posted @ martedì 17 marzo 2009 23:57 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation Windows Azure ]

WPF: implementing a LinkLabel control with XAML and VB code

As you may know, Windows Presentation Foundation doesn't offer a LinkLabel control as instead happens in Windows Forms. By the way, creating a custom LinkLabel control in WPF is a simple task. This is because in WPF user controls are essentially the aggregation of primitive controls. We can start from a Label control; its content will not be just text but an HyperLink control. Let's consider the following XAML code snippet, which reaches the objective sending to my MVP profile:         <Label Width="150" Height="30">             <Hyperlink NavigateUri="https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Alessandro.Del%20Sole"                        Hyperlink.RequestNavigate="Hyperlink_RequestNavigate" >                 <TextBlock Text="Alessandro Del Sole" />             </Hyperlink>        ...

posted @ giovedì 12 marzo 2009 18:10 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]

WPF: retrieving images metadata with Visual Basic 2008

Windows Presentation Foundation offers an abstract class called BitmapDecoder, which allows obtaining a reference to an image file (even multiframe) and representing the content of each frame.   Once we get this kind of reference to the image, we can retrieve also image's metadata. In fact we know that modern cameras or imaging applications add to each image file some additional information (the metadata themselves). Examples of metadata are the date when the picture is taken, the camera manufacturer, comments, author, subject.   To retrieve this kind of information, in WPF we can use a class called...

posted @ martedì 10 marzo 2009 01:00 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Windows Presentation Foundation ]