Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 143, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2012

Order my book about VB 2012 on Amazon My book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

campusMVP.NET - Tutored online training for Microsoft developers

Follow me on Twitter!

Messenger me!

CyberInstaller Beta Tester

Download CIS 2008!!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Search the blog

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Visual Studio LightSwitch

Text animation in LightSwitch

As you might know, in LightSwitch 2012 you can now add text labels that are not data-bound, which is something you could not do in the previous version except if using some tricks. So you basically select the Add Text command in a screen: Then you specify the text to be displayed: Such a label is shown as Normal text but in the properties you can change this behavior by selecting a different formatting such as Warning, Note, etc. Behind the scenes it is a TextBlock control from Silverlight, so you can definitely create nice animations so that your text message is more appealing,...

posted @ venerdì 12 ottobre 2012 12:57 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

LightSwitch: a small guide for migrating apps from v1 to v2

I have been recently busy in migrating a quite complex LightSwitch application from v1 (2011) to v2 (2012) and so I'd like to share some considerations that can be useful before you start the migration process. Actually, the process is very simple but requires you to pay attention against the following situations. Extensions and 3rd party components If your application uses extensions or controls by 3rd party producers, it is particularly important to ensure that a version supported by Visual Studio 2012 exists. In most cases, extensions for v1 are also correctly recognized and used in v2, but this is not a rule. So,...

posted @ giovedì 11 ottobre 2012 11:47 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

LightSwitch: reading threads from StackOverflow with OData

As you might know, one of the most important new features in the next version of Visual Studio LightSwitch, currently in beta, is the support for OData. You can read some post from Beth Massi about this topic, today I'm just showing a different usage. OData is an open protocol based on WCF Data Services and allows managing data sets through services. If you visit the Ecosystem page of the OData portal, you can find a list of public services from 3rd party producers, including the well-known StackOverflow web site, which offers a very popular forum platform. Imagine you want to read your favorite threads from StackOverflow inside a LightSwitch...

posted @ lunedì 26 marzo 2012 23:22 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Advanced LightSwitch: passing initialization information to custom data sources (with Visual Basic)

When you build WCF RIA Services for Silverlight you can pass initialization information to the service, so that you can initialize fields or properties or any other members required by the same service. When you have to create custom data source extensions for LightSwitch you still use WCF RIA Services but in a way that is a little bit difference according to some LightSwitch specific requirements. This also means that it is different the way you pass startup information to the service. Actually you can use the connection string, which is not limited to that piece of information that you would normally use to connect to...

posted @ mercoledì 21 dicembre 2011 18:40 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

LightSwitch: solving the error "an object or column name is missing or empty"

If you deploy a LightSwitch application as a Desktop client with local services (2-tier) and you decide to generate a SQL script for creating a database later, it might happen that you encounter the following error when running the script from SQL Server Management Studio: An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as “” or [] are not allowed. Add a name or single space as the alias name. Don't be afraid if this happens. Go to the Query menu, then click SQLCMD Mode. Thi...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:14 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

LightSwitch: increasing the client-side timeout in code (VB)

There are scenarios in which you need to send a large number of records to a database in LightSwitch or retrieve a large number of records. If the operation becomes too long, this might result in a fault due to a timeout exception. This typically happens if your data source is on a server or on a machine different than yours. Solving timeout problems in LightSwitch can be done in several ways, some on the server side (as you would do in WCF RIA Services), but also on the client side. This requires making an edit to the Application.vb/cs file,...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:10 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

My new video: using Visual Studio LightSwitch with MySQL

One of the most frequently asked questions in the LightSwitch developer community is: how can I use LightSwitch with MySQL databases? So I decided to try myself (since I only work with SQL Server) and this video explains what tools you need to reach the goal and how you can connect to MySQL databases and work with data in LightSwitch. There's just a couple of code snippets (yeah, VB!) that you need to write. You can easily enable the full screen view or show the offline player:   > Enjoy! Alessandro

posted @ domenica 13 novembre 2011 00:14 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

My new video: starting migrating an Access database to Visual Studio LightSwitch

Today I have recorded a new video in which I show how to use the SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access in order to start migrating a Microsoft Access database to SQL Server that you can later use in Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 as an external data source. Please note that the video explains a migration of tables and queries, but no VBA code is migrated to Visual Basic or C#. The reason is simply that it is not possible covering any possible code snippet but I think it is useful to have a starting point to begin migrating a...

posted @ venerdì 14 ottobre 2011 00:40 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Silverlight/Windows Phone Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Advanced LightSwitch: calling built-in search from Silverlight controls (Visual Basic)

I'm migrating a big Silverlight 4 project to LightSwitch and I'm at a point in which I need to implement search screens and editable grids. My requirement was using the RadGridView control from Telerik, replacing the built-in DataGrid of LightSwitch. This implies creating a custom control. If you want to see an example, you can see my previous post about using the Telerik RadGridView in LightSwitch. The problem is that when you implement a custom control you also lose the built-in search box and data paging control, which are offered by search screens. So my goal was implementing search in a...

posted @ mercoledì 21 settembre 2011 00:54 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

My upcoming Webinar on Visual Studio LightSwitch with Visual Basic

On October 4th I will deliver an online session entitled Building Business Applications with Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011. This is an entry-level Webinar hosted and promoted by DevExpress, one of the most important Microsoft partners from the developer point of view, and manufacturer of the XtraReports for LightSwitch extension. It will be an opportunity to show LightSwitch to who has never seen it in action, but also an opportunity to receive your questions about the product. It is scheduled for Oct. 4Th, at 10 a.m. PST. Registration is required at this address, whereas the complete list of webinars that DevExpress is offering is available at this...

posted @ mercoledì 14 settembre 2011 15:06 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Full Visual Studio LightSwitch Archive