Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

marzo 2012 Blog Posts

LightSwitch: reading threads from StackOverflow with OData

As you might know, one of the most important new features in the next version of Visual Studio LightSwitch, currently in beta, is the support for OData. You can read some post from Beth Massi about this topic, today I'm just showing a different usage. OData is an open protocol based on WCF Data Services and allows managing data sets through services. If you visit the Ecosystem page of the OData portal, you can find a list of public services from 3rd party producers, including the well-known StackOverflow web site, which offers a very popular forum platform. Imagine you want to read your favorite threads from StackOverflow inside a LightSwitch...

posted @ lunedì 26 marzo 2012 23:22 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

My new video: Global namespace in Visual Basic 11

Visual Basic 11 Beta makes it easier to abstract the namespace definition outside the root namespace of the project by using the Global keyword for namespaces. I have recorded a new video to explain how it works, including extending namespaces of the .NET Framework's BCL: Alessandro

posted @ domenica 11 marzo 2012 19:12 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic ]

My new video: Call Hierarchy in Visual Basic 11

Visual Studio 11 Beta introduces the Call Hierarchy tool window for Visual Basic. This was already available in Visual C# in VS 2010, and allows getting a visual representation of calls from and to methods, showing the hierarchy of calls. Learn how to use it in this new video that I have just recorded: Alessandro

posted @ domenica 11 marzo 2012 19:09 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic ]

My new video: CallerMemberInfo in Visual Basic 11

The Beta of Visual Basic 11 introduces three new attributes: CallerFilePath, CallerLineNumber, and CallerMemberName. These allow retrieving information that previously could be available only via reflection, and including the .pdb debug files and in full-trust environments and you will typically use them in logging scenarios. Learn how to use them in this video: Alessandro

posted @ domenica 11 marzo 2012 18:58 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic ]