Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Migrating a SQL Server database to SQL Azure with the SQL Azure Migration Wizard

Migrating a SQL Server database to the cloud, so SQL Azure, is with no doubt an interesting scenario. Often this process is not easy and usually just executing a SQL script on Azure is not enough to get full compatibility. So a number of volunteers has created an open source tool called SQL Azure Migration Wizard, available on CodePlex.

This tool allows to perform a number of tasks, such as analysis over SQL scripts to check for compatibility between on-premise and the cloud, or a full database migration including data.

For instance, imagine you want to migrate to SQL Azure the famous Northwind database which is on our SQL Server. The first thing to do in the Migration Wizard is selecting the appropriate option:

Then you need to specify the server name and connection info:

The next step is selecting the database that you want to migrate:

The next dialog requires specifying the database objects that you want to migrate, where you can choose all objects or just some. It is easy, so I'm just skipping that dialog. Once you choose database objects, you can finally generate a SQL script that will be executed to create a database on SQL Azure. This is the result of such a generation:

If you go ahead, you specify the connection information to your SQL Azure account:

It is worth mentioning that it is not necessary to create the database on SQL Azure via the Management Portal before you run the Migration Wizard, because the tool has an option to do this for you. Whatever choice you make to create a database, the next step is running the script. In the end, the result looks like in the following figure:

The wizard copies data as well. This is a very good tool and the opportunity of checking compatibility between on-premise and on-cloud is a real plus.

Alessandro

Print | posted on venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 12:23 | Filed Under [ Windows Azure ]

Feedback

No comments posted yet.

Post Comment

Title  
Name  
Email
Url
Comment   
Please add 3 and 7 and type the answer here: