Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 159, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2015!

Pre-order VB 2015 Unleashed Pre-order my new book "Visual Basic 2015 Unleashed". Click for more info!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

Follow me on Twitter!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Article Categories

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

dicembre 2011 Blog Posts

Advanced LightSwitch: passing initialization information to custom data sources (with Visual Basic)

When you build WCF RIA Services for Silverlight you can pass initialization information to the service, so that you can initialize fields or properties or any other members required by the same service. When you have to create custom data source extensions for LightSwitch you still use WCF RIA Services but in a way that is a little bit difference according to some LightSwitch specific requirements. This also means that it is different the way you pass startup information to the service. Actually you can use the connection string, which is not limited to that piece of information that you would normally use to connect to...

posted @ mercoledì 21 dicembre 2011 18:40 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Metropolis: a suite of controls for Windows Phone 7 from BeeMobile

A company called Bee Mobile has created a series of controls for Windows Phone 7, called Metropolis. I was searching for a Book control and this controls' suite has one, so it has been immediately impressive to me. I have been playing with the trial, and I had a chance of taking a look at the available controls, which are the following: BookControl iWheel, which allows implementing rotations of objects and creating stuff like a date or time picker  RegionControl VistaButton WaitingBar It is worth mentioning that...

posted @ lunedì 19 dicembre 2011 15:46 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Silverlight/Windows Phone ]

Migrating a SQL Server database to SQL Azure with the SQL Azure Migration Wizard

Migrating a SQL Server database to the cloud, so SQL Azure, is with no doubt an interesting scenario. Often this process is not easy and usually just executing a SQL script on Azure is not enough to get full compatibility. So a number of volunteers has created an open source tool called SQL Azure Migration Wizard, available on CodePlex. This tool allows to perform a number of tasks, such as analysis over SQL scripts to check for compatibility between on-premise and the cloud, or a full database migration including data. For instance, imagine you want to migrate to SQL Azure the famous Northwind...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:23 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Windows Azure ]

LightSwitch: solving the error "an object or column name is missing or empty"

If you deploy a LightSwitch application as a Desktop client with local services (2-tier) and you decide to generate a SQL script for creating a database later, it might happen that you encounter the following error when running the script from SQL Server Management Studio: An object or column name is missing or empty. For SELECT INTO statements, verify each column has a name. For other statements, look for empty alias names. Aliases defined as “” or [] are not allowed. Add a name or single space as the alias name. Don't be afraid if this happens. Go to the Query menu, then click SQLCMD Mode. Thi...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:14 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

LightSwitch: increasing the client-side timeout in code (VB)

There are scenarios in which you need to send a large number of records to a database in LightSwitch or retrieve a large number of records. If the operation becomes too long, this might result in a fault due to a timeout exception. This typically happens if your data source is on a server or on a machine different than yours. Solving timeout problems in LightSwitch can be done in several ways, some on the server side (as you would do in WCF RIA Services), but also on the client side. This requires making an edit to the Application.vb/cs file,...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:10 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Studio LightSwitch ]

Converting text to HTML with Visual Basic

I have found this interesting article on CodeProject where they explain how to create a method that converts a String to HTML format by invoking the HttpUtility.HtmlEncode method, but the explanation is C# only. This approach is okay in Web projects, and I want to provide a Visual Basic translation: Public Shared Function HtmlEncode(text As String) As String Dim chars As Char() = HttpUtility.HtmlEncode(text).ToCharArray() Dim result As New System.Text.StringBuilder(text.Length + CInt(text.Length * 0.1)) ...

posted @ venerdì 9 dicembre 2011 11:01 | Feedback (0) | Filed Under [ Visual Basic ]