Alessandro Del Sole's Blog

/* A programming space about Microsoft® .NET® */
posts - 143, comments - 0, trackbacks - 0

My Links

News

Your host

This is me! This space is about Microsoft® .NET® and Microsoft® Visual Basic development. Enjoy! :-)

These postings are provided 'AS IS' for entertainment purposes only with absolutely no warranty expressed or implied and confer no rights.

Microsoft MVP

My MVP Profile

I'm a VB!

Watch my interview in Seattle

My new book on VB 2012

Order my book about VB 2012 on Amazon My book "Visual Basic 2012 Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

My new book on LightSwitch!

Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed My book "Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed" is available. Click the cover!

Your visits

campusMVP.NET - Tutored online training for Microsoft developers

Follow me on Twitter!

Messenger me!

CyberInstaller Beta Tester

Download CIS 2008!!

CodePlex download Download my open-source projects from CodePlex!

Search the blog

Article Categories

Archives

Post Categories

.NET Framework

Blogroll

Help Authoring

Microsoft & MSDN

Setup & Deployment

Visual Basic 2005/2008/2010

Sticky data tips in the Visual Studio 2010's debugger

The data tips feature is available since Visual Studio 2005. When the debugger is in break mode, they allow viewing the content of variables and object by simply passing the mouse pointer over the object we want to analyze. In Visual Studio 2010 this feature has been extended with a new functionality known as sticky data tips. Basically you can create some sticky notes containing your comments that you can keep on the editor area while debugging. Let's see now how it works.

Imagine you have a breakpoint in the code and that you want to show up the data tip on a particular variable. As usual, you will see the well known pop-up window appearing. The good news is that now you can see a small icon representing a sheet on the right side of the data tip:

If you click such sheet, a new sticky data tip will be shown up. It's like a sticky note that you can expand to add any comments you like:

Moreover the data tip's content is updated when the object state changes, as you can see in the following figure where the value of fileExtension has changed from Nothing to "exe":

You can also move sticky data tips with the mouse along the code editor. When you do not need anymore the sticky, you can simply remove it by clicking the closure button on the upper right.

Probably you also understood that this new feature is based on WPF (that empowers the most of the Visual Studio 2010 IDE).

Alessandro

Print | posted on martedì 28 luglio 2009 02:21 | Filed Under [ Visual Studio 2010 Visual Basic ]

Feedback

No comments posted yet.

Post Comment

Title  
Name  
Email
Url
Comment   
Please add 1 and 6 and type the answer here: